Monday, June 15, 2009

The Vintage Anthology of Science Fantasy

edited by Christopher Cerf


I have a deep fondness for short stories. I think they are the perfect length to present an idea, develop it, and draw a conclusion. They are also very readable. Even during law school, when I was up to my eyeballs in cases to read, I could always find time to read a good short story or two. So when I saw a dog-eared copy of The Vintage Anthology of Science Fantasy in a give-away book bin, I snatched it up to see if it was any good. I wasn't disappointed.

This was an amusing collection of short stories by some really great authors. Some of them, like Roald Dahl or Arthur C. Clarke, are very well-known. Other I had never heard of, but they were great nonetheless. Most of these stories were written 40-50 years ago, so they have a fun campy feel when they talk about what the future will be like. 

I think science fantasy is an interesting genre. It's not fantasy because of its futuristic or technological elements, nor is it sci-fi because it doesn't really care about technical or scientific details. The fantastical devices are merely vehicles to explore interesting concepts. Science fantasy is arguably just a part of science fiction, but its definitely different from hard sci-fi. It's also very accessible, even to people who wouldn't imagine reading most science fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment