Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Story of World War II

by Donald L. Miller and Henry Steele Commager

I picked this book out from the library because I liked the cover and I wanted to know more about World War II. For that purpose it was perfect. The Story of World War II was accessible and rarely boring, with plenty of photographs and maps to make the narrative real to the reader. Much of the history is told in the words of soldiers or journalists embedded with the American troops or sailors. This is a revision of an orginal work that was published in parts during and immediately after the war. My only criticism is that the book focuses almost exclusively on the American experience of the war, but if that doesn't bother you it is a great way to skim the survace of an enormouse worldwide event. I recommend it to anyone who would like to know more about World War II without delving into a decade of study.

2 comments:

Curt Hostetler said...

Way cool! I love the book review idea. I started a blog like this but quit because I found that I read too much and by the time I got around to writing a review, I had already read 3 or 4 more books. Maybe not a bad idea to start back up.

I'll have to add this one to my 'books to read' list. School is almost out, and I try to not read any 'fun' books during school, we'll see how many I can squeeze into the break.

If you are looking for another good read about WWII, I recommend 'Ghost Soldiers'. It's about a part of the war that I wasn't really familiar with, the Bataan death march. So many WWII books tend to focus on Hitler and the Holocaust that we forget about a lot of the other parts of the war.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the Pacific theater was a lot messier for the U.S. And it was almost entirely an American conflict since most of the other Allied powers had been slugging it out in Europe and Northern Africa for several years before the U.S. even entered the War. Basically, that generation makes us all look like sissies.

Post a Comment