Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins
Not since Ender's Game have I been so utterly incapable of putting a book down. I read The Hunger Games in the space of an afternoon, and I would have gone without meals if possible. Suzanne Collins creates a partially dystopian vision of the future in which a central power dominates other city states across North America. Each year a young boy and girl are selected from each outlying district to participate in the Hunger Games, a survival competition in which the young people fight to the death on live television.

Nothing about The Hunger Games is completely original, but the book is so good that I still couldn't get enough. This is a serious contender as the best book I have read this year, and I highly recommend it. Even though it involves fighting and killing, the book isn't particularly graphic, and I would recommend it to young and old alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment