Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baghdad without a Map and Other Misadventures in Arabia

by Tony Horowitz

This is one of those books that I happily discovered by accident. I was at my favorite used bookstore with my wife's uncle while he was selling some books back, and they wouldn't take this one. He had just been recommending Tony Horowitz to me, so he gave me to book to keep. Baghdad without a Map is Horowitz's autobiographical tale of his time as a free-lance report stationed in Cairo. Horowitz travels to over a dozen Middle Eastern countries, including Yemen, Sudan, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Israel, and the Palestinian territories. Each location Horowitz visits has different people, cultures, languages, and customs, but they all have the common unifying faith of Islam, even if it is practiced differently in different countries. Horowitz is an excellent writer, and treats the tragic and the ridiculous alike with sensitivity and honesty. I definitely enjoyed Baghdad without a Map. It made me want to travel -- if not to the wasted refugee camps of Sudan.

No comments:

Post a Comment